Sunday, June 8, 2008

Day 4, Matthew 4

Hey Guys,
Here we are already on day 4...Crazy! To me this is where the study is going to pick up. I mean it is important to know our Jesus and how He grew up and all that, but from here on out we are reading about His ministry! Lord Jesus please open our eyes to see and to learn more about You!

Summary...
The story of Jesus being tempted should encourage all of our heart's. The Bible says that Jesus was led by the Spirit out to be tempted. I love how the Bible never shies away from the fact and even goes out of its way to remind us how human Jesus really was. I feel like verse 2 was simply to connect to the human heart...no food for 40 days...that makes me hungry just thinking about it. I can't even go 40 minutes without food! Again, the Bible giving us the opportunity to connect with our Jesus over human needs...this time it is hunger that connects us to Christ.

What a blueprint Jesus laid out for us to follow when facing temptation. I assume you, like me, face temptation in your own life. Even our Jesus, our King, Lord and Savior faced temptation but did you notice how Jesus faught against the devil? Did you notice how sly the devil was in trying to tempt Jesus? Knowing Jesus is hungry, the enemy tries to tempt Jesus with food. Satan tries to misuse the Word of God. The enemy is slick and we must be ready to fight against him the way Christ did...so how did Jesus fight and win against satan? He did it through the Word! How crucial is it to know God and His Word! Every time the enemy came at Jesus, our Lord fired back with the undeniable truth of the Word! Do you know the truth? Are you ready to fight against temptation the way Christ did? We must know the Word to be ready to stand against the attack from the evil one.

In this chapter, we see Jesus pick out His first disciples...Andrew, Simon or Peter, James and John. Now remember the difference between a disciple and an apostle. A disciple is a learner, one who follows and is simply learning from the One they follow. An apostle is a messenger. Later on, the 12 would go from being followers to messengers of the news about Jesus. Here in Matthew 4 we read about Jesus and His first round picks.

All four of these guys were fisherman, and it cracks me up every time I read this to think about Jesus simply calling out to the them and saying come follow Me! I will make you fishers of men. The Bible tells us these four guys drop their nets...I love that. They stopped what they were doing to follow Christ. How often do you and I tell God we will follow in a second after we finish up some other things first. 'Don't worry Lord, I will follow you after I take care of some other important stuff first'...these guys said count us in Jesus! Everything stopped for Christ. Can you say that for your own life? These guys were willing to leave it all behind and pursue Jesus. Is that a picture of you and your relationship with our Lord?

The last part of the chapter tells us that it doesn't take long in His ministry for Jesus to become famous. The word was spreading fast about this man Christ who could heal the lame and the sick. People began to come from all over to get a look at this man Jesus to see what He was about! Notice what His message was to the people as He would preach...it might ring a bell...check out verse 17. John the Baptist prepared the way for Christ to be heard. Jesus then came in. He began preaching and things began to happen!

Questions...
  • When was the last time you were tempted to do wrong?
  • How do you try and fight temptation now?
  • Who were the first four disciples Jesus called?
  • What was their job or occupation?
  • Imagine what someone would write back in those days, if they had a newspaper, about this man Jesus and His healing power. What do think would be some things listed in the article about this mystery man Jesus Christ?

Lord Jesus, continue to open our eyes so we can see You and what You were about. We love You and need You badly. Bless my friends who are studying and learning more about You I Pray...In Jesus' Name, Amen!

tom

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Temptation. I have had many-o-issues. Praise God none that He has not gone before & provided a way of escape. Christ of course shows us our way out. So many times I have been asked how did you break free of so many-o-issues? I've been frustrated because it almost seems so simple, to simple yet there is so nothing simple about it! His Word. Know it. Speak it out loud. over & over & over again. Currently my favorite verse is Jeremiah 23:29 "Does not My Word burn like fire? Is it not like a mighty hammer that smashes a rock to pieces!" Well Yes it is! Jesus did exactly that here.
I once heard that Jesus invitation for the disciples to "come" was also an invitation to leave. It is impossible to stay in two places at once we need to deliberately choose to leave our worry, comforts, addictions, fear, selfish ambitions, depression, complacency, heartache...to come to Him.
I love verse 16 "the people who sat in darkness have seen a great light!" i can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on-yes i will stop singing.
Lord Jesus You tell us Your Word is like a sword, You have called us! we are coming. disciples. followers. Teach us how to swing Your sword, prepare the Way and shine Your light!

Marissa said...

I've been tempted and I was facing it last night and I read my bible and prayed. Good thing because this morning I got belted with some news I didn't particularly want to hear.
I talk to Lori a lot when I face something because I know that she's probably gone through it and can help me. Everyone needs a Lori! :) I turn to God's word when I face troubles and hardships and I used to turn to rap-music and bottom of bottles or even gossiping and I'm glad that I don't listen to rap-a lot, drink, or gossip because that isn't the kind of clothing a Christ Follower should be wearing.

The first disciples were Andrew, Simon-Peter, John, and James and they just were called to drop everything and follow and learn about Jesus. Who just gets up from doing their favorite thing or a job they kinda like to follow some guy you don't even know? Not me. It's a little awkward. haha. But if there was like some advertisement and I seen it... I'd have to test this Jesus guy out! :) I mean I have no idea what they'd be saying, it's hard for me to date back and think because I wasn't there.

Ryan said...

Temptation is big and dangerous. The great thing though is that as long as we have faith and trust the Lord we will never fall. Now i dont mean never fall but like we will know the majority of the time that what we may be getting tempted by is either right or wrong. Lori said it good, Lord Jesus did say the word is like a sword and as long as we are in it we can defend from everything!

lauren barbano said...

Hello Day 4! Wow...How awesome is our Jesus?! I think it is so cool to know Jesus "healed every kind of disease and illness." (v.23) This just shows me that our God can heal anything...but He doesn't always heal. Why is that? Well, we as mere humans will never understand, or maybe will after God reveals to us some stuff. It just puts peace in my heart knowing I have a God who can heal EVERYTHING but His will may not be always to heal.

Anyways, oh that word...tempation. I have tempation to eat poorly, and for example, last night, I had TWO rice krispie treats and then FROZEN YOGURT afterwards. Ohh I so indulged.

Seriously though, last week I experienced tempation at work. I had the urge to gossip and judge another. I heard the Holy Spirit whisper to me, "Don't do it Laur. You know this won't please God, or glorify Him." I just concentrated on that. I always seem to think of Galations 1:10, "Obviosly, I'm not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ's servant." I know when I am not living by this verse, tempation is creeping up.

I definitely need to know the Word more. I have been a Christian for less than two years, so of course I don't know the Bible inside out, but I am working on it. I know that is the way to break free from temptation, as I learned in my awesome Bible Study, "Breaking Free."

Oh Lord, I pray you would bless my friends and all who are doing this Bible Study. Keep working in our hearts Lord. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys, just catching up with the study ... this temptation section has always scared me ... Satan knows how to attack your weakness - when Jesus was fasting and hungry Satan tempted Him with bread - and knowing that Jesus was preparing to start His ministry, Satan tempted Him with the easy way out to come into His kingdom. But Jesus was firm in His faith and even though weak in the flesh, He prevailed over the temptation. And then the angels came and attended to Him.... The word says we will face trials and that these will be our opportunities to grow in our faith .... and we know God will be with us and comfort us, just as the angels attended to Jesus.... I thought that was cool!

Anonymous said...

I think its safe to say that we've all been tempted in one way or another, I mean.. Jesus was tempted! :] But when I am tempted to do something I know wouldn't glorify God, I just try to dwell with Jesus, talk to Him, and just tell Him "Jesus, I can't live without You, I am being tempted and I need You to help me get through this, cause I surely can't get through it on my own!"

Linda Hansen said...

It's amazing to me like Tom pointe d out, How temptation was at the forefront of Jesus ministry. "The Beginning" is always the hardest for anyone who first becomes a believer,and the temptation is undoubtly at its greatest when we are at our most vunerable. When we haven't wrapped ourselves in Gods word and haven't carried the sword long enough to do the battles we will face. Jesus demonstated that with his followers in mind. I say that because I'm reminded of how many people came to be babtized in Matthew 3. Just as today we have ask for forgiveness of sin and received it, but Jesus is making us fully aware of satan's jealousy when he sees a life given over to God in his Precious name. My shepherd, My teacher, My healer, My lover, My king, My savior, THANKYOU! THANKYOU! THANKYOU! Something I thought about: The first four disciples were brothers 2x2. How cool is it when "family" brothers,sisters,husbands and wives are sharing in the service to our King. When our family started attending PRF I found alot of joy in knowing that Tom ,Josh, and Luke were brothers and there was mom and dad aka Lisa and Michael.Same thing with Pastor Daves family and the list goes on and on. I felt in versus 18-22 that Jesus knew as far as family goes the more the merrier. Lord sometimes we fail to see whats right in front of our faces. We spend countless hours with our loved ones but we dont make the hours count. Help us to appreciate each other and show kindness towards one another, Help us to slay the dragon of anger and hate when it rears it's ugly head. I ask you this in Jesus name. Amen.

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys its Valerie! Sorry i am late on this study, but anyways, I LOVE this chapter, it so amazing how Jesus Is so into God and his word that he can just fight temptation off like that, I Pray that i can be more like that!

Also it really makes me think about how When Jesus Called to the Fishermen they just dropped there nets and went, They didnt worry about what was going on they just knew Jesus Would handle it and i want to be more like that just ready to take on whatever Jesus Gives me and not hold back.
Hope everyone has a great day and God Bless:)!